Thursday 26 March 2015

Drainage preparations

Last night, on her way home, Heli drove past the block and said that there was a big pile of dirt in the driveway.

Huh?

Upon investigation the next morning, my boys and I checked it out.






It is red scoria. One of the really strange things that I find about building is that at least in the case of the piering and drainage, it is documented after the fact. Whilst I understand the need for flexibility, as witnessed by the piering adventures, can't we at least have a plan??? Well, no. Not in the case of drainage. I've made some requests for placement of drainage risers. I'd have liked to have seen a plan first so that I could see what I'm getting and what I needed to add where I needed it. Nope. In this case, it is all done after the fact.

Once it's done, I'll be requesting a formalised plan drawn up. Darren from Darbecca, our independent inspector, has strongly recommended that we get all plans (piering and drainage) documented within seven days of being done. This way it's all fresh in people's minds. Or more to the point, if things go horribly wrong, and you find yourself in a VCAT hearing in 3-5 years time, the judge will (and has) asked in real cases "Why was it not documented?". It's all about protecting yourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment